Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My Commentary of the Olympics and History in the make

I'll be the first to tell you, in general I hate sports.



Sure, I played basketball once, but that was a long time ago when I was young and dumb. I am wiser now. Team sports and I do not mix. Neither do I and most sports really. I only watch the Superbowl for the funny commercials and the snacks my dad will only give me if I stick around. I never watch basketball. Too many painful memories. And baseball just puts me to sleep.



So saying I'm not a fan of sports would be a smige of an understatement for me. Unless it's the Olympics.



I ADORE the Olympics. And for a few short weeks every few years, it's all I care about. Ok, so not really. But me and my family are pretty obsessive over it. We'd watch the Olympics all day, every day if they were on. We scream and cry for our favorite athletes. (And boy, do we ever have favorites.) We get all wound up when the Chinese, or the Russians, or-heaven forbid!-the French get higher points or lower times. At least one of us girls gets a crush on at least one male athlete every time. And at least one of the boys decides they're going to be an Olympian in an at least one sport. The Olympics are quite eventful 'round here.



So here's some highlights of the Olympics and of our reactions.



First off: Michael Phelps.
Man, can the dude ever swim! And it doesn't hurt that he's got a totally hott bod. What? I'm just sayin'! But enough of my fan-girlishness (and my cousin's, and my best friend's, and my little sisters', and my little sisters' bffs, and every other straight female in the entire country!). Let's get down to the theatrics.
When we saw that first relay where we just barely won against those @#$! Frenchies (oh yeah, who got smashed again? Because, pardon me, but I don't think it was us. Score!) my family started screaming and jumping and pointing at the screen. (Yes, we know they can't see us or hear us. Who cares!?)
Then Boopsie and I watched the replays and realized how close Michael Phelps got to having a err, wardrobe malfunction there at the end with his low, low suit. *snicker, snicker, snort*
Skip ahead a few races (and medals) and we're at the seventh race and WoW, was that ending amazing! Just as we were starting to get slightly bored of Mr. Phelps ("Oh, wow. Michael Phelps got another gold medal. Big surprise.") he had that AmAzInG-win-by-a-nail-literally-finish! And then his mom's face! Ah-ha-ha-ha! She was in total and utter shock! (I've got to get some pictures up to show you) She thought he came in second but then when her daughters started screaming "He won! Michael won!" the poor woman almost fainted. And the guy in front of her! Bwahahah!!!!!! Everyone else was jumping around and screaming and he was just like, "Omg. Omg. Michael Phelps won. By like a nail. Omg." *snicker, snicker, snort!*

On to gymnastics!
By far, Boopsie and I's favorite Summer Olympic sport, gymnastics also became a favorite the Princess and the Hobbit-Hannah girl. They were jumping and twirling and attempting to stand on their heads. (That didn't go very well)
We got sooo enraged when we got lower scores than we deserved. Boopsie and I freaked out (jumping, screaming, tears of joy) when the Men's team got bronze, and the Women got silver, and then Nastia Luikin and Shawn Johnson got gold! But we also freaked out when Kevin Tang fell on the pommel horse, and when Alecia Sacramone fell, and when Nastia got silver when she deserved gold, and when Alexander (Sasha) Artemov fell and, and, and, ah! It was too much! Towards the end there Boopsie and I started to sound like that commentator guy. ("What a reep off!")
Shawn Johnson became our favorite out of the women's team and we decided they we would be best friends if we ever met. And on the guy's team, well, they were all so cute! But our favorites were Johnathon Horton and Sasha. They were the cutest. ;P
Yes, gymnastics was very emotional at our house. Mom cried when Nastia got gold for all around, Boopsie and mom cried when Shawn got gold for balance beam, I cried when Sasha and Nastia didn't get gold...and dad? Well, he made fun of all the guys that weren't American. Especially the French and Germans.
Now I'd like to make an observation about our teams.
Isn't it interesting how diverse our teams are? Our all-around gold medalist for women, Nastia, is a Russian immigrant (her parents were actually gymnasts for the Soviet Union.), as is Sasha who's dad got a lot of medals for the Soviets. Kevin Tang is of Asian descent. Alecia Sacramone is Hispanic. Raj is East Indian. Johnathon Horton's dad was an astronaut!

I just think it's cool how all these people from totally different backgrounds, ancestries, etc. came together to fulfil the "American Dream".

But after all, isn't that what being an American is all about?

*********************************

Ok, I'll post more about the Olympics later (probably sometime tonight) and when I do I'm gonna cover Marathons (yawn, so boring), diving, beach volleyball, volleyball, and basketball. Plus I'm gonna do a post of pictures from/of memorable moments or people/ (Not that every moment and person wasn't memorable. This is the Olympics after all! But these will just be the one's I noticed and remembered.)

2 comments:

HarmonySteele said...

Wish I could've watched the olympics this year, but we don't have TV channels so the only stuff I saw was about 5 minutes of diving on the TVs at WalMart!
~Harmony~
(PS how did you get the cool cursor to work? I can't get it on my blog.)

Girl With A Gun said...

Such a shame! the Olympics are great highlights of my life.

About the cursor. At the bottom of my blog is a link to the site I got the cursor from.